Life got in the way of modelling for the past few months. Minor details like moving house, moving in, setting up the CPR Calgary Terminal radio stream, and the endless chores that seem to follow.
Going back to my hypothetical post-1985, post-CR Shared Assets 1999 CASO property using modeller’s license: By 1999-2000 the old Queen’s CASO Geeps would be no longer fit for purpose, and big modern power would be needed to lift tonnage through the Detroit River Tunnel (DRT) efficiently on the Puller assignments between Canada and the US.
With the theoretical surviving portion of the CASO being a joint venture, the owning partners would have to supply their share of the required power, hence the CSXT and CR units. So I weathered up an Athearn RTR SD60 and Genesis SD70. Living and working in Western Canada, my eye leans toward motive power that has seen harsh service in tunnel bores. I spent many years in train service at BC Rail. See for yourself:
On a completely unrelated note I also weathered my new Rapido RS-18. Hopefully it is abused and oily enough:
I spent 12 years working as a trainman for BC Rail. A good friend models the BCR in N Scale in New Mexico. So I offered to paint up some Kato SD40-2’s in N Scale for him patched into a BCR number. They were 744-750, if I remember correctly. None were lead units. An attempt was made to have 748 set up as a leader, but it did not work out. The BCR SD40-2 fleet was heavily used on the Pemberton Pushers and the Fort Nelson Sub. I quite liked working with them. They were sure footed on rough track, and were very dependable. The BCR locomotive shop foreman in Fort St John, Paul Symons, was a miracle worker. He made them go. Hats off to him!
Here is the progress so far. Decals were supplied by Bill from PDC.CA in Manitoba. I highly recommend his work! I used Tamiya paints.
Yes, I did one in HO for myself, too. The curiosity was killing me.
The colour of O&W green is very bright, but it will be toned down with some heavy weathering.
This will be the end product. Photo: D Mark Forseille.
I am going to step up to my full sized railroad in this post, and away from the HO Scale one.
One of my employees has retired from railroading a second time, after forty years of combined service with Canadian Pacific and Plains Midstream Canada. He is one of the finest, if not the finest hog I have ever worked with. We will miss him dearly in Kerrobert.
Coming from the BC Rail running trades, I know the proper “First Class” way to send a hog to pension, so it had to be done here in Saskatchewan, too.
First, he posed with his unit:
Then we take a photo with the whole Kerrobert Unit Train Terminal team:
It’s time to break through the banner:
And for one final railway tradition, a hooping of train orders.
And there you have it: hooping up train orders using a TH&B hoop and CPR stationery, to an ex-SSW/UP Tunnel Motor on a CPR branchline in Saskatchewan. Isn’t that an unlikely combination of railroad ingredients? Terry had a blast we and maintained the old traditions. It is 100% about taking care of your people.
A large number of Railbox cars are roaming the rails with new reporting marks since the IPD bust took place in the 80’s. Below are two readily available models. The one on the left is an Accurail model that is now complete. The one on the right is Athearn RTR just prior to going to work tonight. I am going to weather the Athearn car with Vallejo chalks, and then patch it for CASO prior to weathering it again. Both cars received extra weights and Rapido 36″ wheels. I found both of them recently on the used shelves at Trains & Such in Calgary, AB.
Similar to the previous post using a Proto 2000 single door 50 foot car, I tried the same method on a double door old Athearn “Blue Box” kit I found in Calgary on the used shelves.
Again, an NYC in financial distress during that era would leave workmanship by the wayside. All that mattered was having 300 boxcars in Canadian service for the CASO and being in compliance with an order from a regulator.
The car received Kadee wheels and couplers, plus extra weights. I left the roof walk on, as I did not feel like filling in all the holes. I left the factory car number alone. Not bad for $5 and some old decals!